SF2012 Brainstorm Capture
From Penguin Day
Revision as of 22:34, 18 December 2015 by Miriam (Protected "SF2012 Brainstorm Capture": Excessive spamming ([Edit=Allow only administrators] (indefinite)))
- learn about best practices surrounding security
- best practice in client side encription
- what hardware to people under surveilance needs to communicate – hardware option pros & cons
- how to create ways to communitcate securely – maintain dialogue with people under surveillance
- how secure is the could – how to increase security while giving access
- how do we build another cloud
- can NSTIC (national strategy 4 trusted identities in cyberspace) work for us?
- how can I use the cloud securely?
Licenses & Rights
- copyright? Copyleft? Copy WHAT?
- how/when to use open licenses, creative commons?
- Do digital rights mean anything?
- what are the best tools for non-technical users to reach mobile users?
- how can we create open source tools for mobile?
- what are open alternatives to google? (gmail, search, docs)
- outsourcing module it would it?
- whats an alternative to MS sharepoint?
- open source tools for online advocacy (signing petitions)
NPO Choosing Software
- what are the most successful open source products for non-profits for neophytes to open source?
- what mgt platform(s) are emerging that NGO's & NPO's should know about (this year) for integration?
- Are there open source fundraising tools? Management (database)
- Non-profits need tech funds – how to learn about funders & get tech grant—writing help
- what CRM should I use?
- what other opportunity are there for NPOs to convene with tech – capable people?
- how much time will it really take to customize an open source CRM to meet our needs?
- An overview of open source CRM software options
Upgrades, Management of Tech Options
- whats a good open source project mgmt program?
- best pratices for used for tech internal processes/
- how do you filter all the information out there to find the best practices to achieve the end goals?
- best way of updating technology
- I would like to discuss engagement/recruitment strategies for open-source projects
- best practices for OS upgrades is) v 5.3- 5.7
- how can I navigate thru the sea of information about wordpress to be able to find the features I need?
- what is wordpress not the right plateform
- learn about how to extend and customize wordpress beyond the one-click install
- wordpress and standardised themes across platform esp. chrome compatability
- how do you move away from professional wp website developed fly free – upgrade, maintain
- comparing the different content management platforms
- what are best practices for CMS & CRM integration
- what are the incentives for migrating from one OS CMS or LMS to another?
- any open source gaming platforms?
- How to integrate communication channels
- sharing stories about how opensource is being used in social justice circles
- help navigate the rate of change in version conversion for open source software
- how can open source software advance accessibility & physical challenges, financial, language, challenge, hardware?
Expanding the Community
- what workds in getting others to adopt open source software.
- what software is available for community building?
- how do we bridge the skepticism of low-income communities?
- how can you intelligently leverage open source software in public computer centers
- how do we build more physical spaces to continue these conversations consistently?
- what is needed to make open source products available across the digital divide: literacy, hardware, software, etc.
- how to find out about nonprofit tech projects? Websites/ places to connect
- need to learn programming but dont know where to start?
- how do we build more user communities to capture feedback from people who can't code?
- how can we facilitate more beginner communities in the open source world?
- how do we bring together open source nerds and residents of low-income housing communities for world peace.